Skip to main content

Home Forums Trouble Shooting My Venus from causes the lights to flicker…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am a new Venus owner and I noticed that when I use my Venus, lights all over my house “pulse” in synch with the stroking (it is worst at medium-low stroke speeds). It seems to only happen when the lights are dimmed, which implies that it is some sort of interaction between the Venus and my dimmer switches. Two questions: Does anyone else experience a similar issue? Is there anything that I can do to prevent it? It makes it practically impossible to discreetly use my Venus while others are at home.

I have a Sybian as well and experience no such issue with that device.

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Call an electrician and have your wiring checked. What you are describing is not normal. Your connection from the pole to the house may be corroded and there may also be an imbalance in the two 120V legs of your 240V service. Either way, the amperage draw from the Venus is negligible so you are definitely having a service issue. My sister had a similar problem at her house with the lights always dimming when small appliances were run. I checked their line voltage and found low unbalanced voltage feeding into their house. They called the power company and it was found the connection to the house was badly corroded (not far from inland from the ocean – salt). They ran a new feeder to the house and installed new wire clamps. Fixed it right up.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I don’t think the problem is that simple. I have absolutely no issues with other high current 110V appliances, including toaster ovens, microwaves, stand mixers, irons, blenders, etc. If there were an issue with my neutral connection, those would impact the voltage balance between phases even more dramatically than the Venus and yet they have no noticeable effect. Since the problem only affects dimmed lights, not lights at full brightness (even if they are being controlled by a dimmer), I suspect that the motor controller in the Venus may have a problem with high-frequency conducted emissions that are interfering with the electronics in the dimmers. My main reason for asking if others have experienced similar issues is to determine if this problem is a systemic design flaw in Venus, or unique to my unit.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Trouble Shooting’ is closed to new topics and replies.